Sunday, May 19, 2013

Nadal and Williams wins Italian Open

tennis, Italian Open, Nadal, Federer


Rafa Nadal defeated his great rival Roger Federer in the Italian Open, 6-1 6-3 on Sunday.

Nadal is back after last year's long injury layoff. Nadal, fifth seed, dominated the first set, winning 20 of 25 points at one stage, as the Swiss second seed produced a chain of unforced errors.

Federer up his game in the second set, breaking a nine-game losing streak to go 1-3, but Nadal was in no mood to slow down. Despite being broken as he served for the match at 5-1, Nadal went on to complete his 36th win in 38 matches this year.

"It's a very important day, a very happy day for me after a difficult year last year," Nadal

"It is really emotional for me to win a tournament with such a long history as Rome. See you next year."

"I am just enjoying the moment and valuing it more than ever because I know where we were just a few months ago," he said. "Being here a few months later with all I have achieved is really more than a dream."



Serena Williams,Victoria Azarenka

Meanwhile, Serena Williams won her fourth consecutive tour title when she easily defeated Victoria Azarenka 6-1 6-3 to take the women's title. Serena last lost to Azarenka in the Doha final in February. This time Serena overpowered Azarenka, she hit nine aces and 41 winners in the two sets.

"It wasn't easy, nothing is ever easy. Last year I was feeling excellent on clay but didn't do that great at Roland Garros; this year I'm cautious and I want to work hard and stay focused and win every point I play, and not slack at all," Williams said.

No comments:

Post a Comment